What is Copywriting? Briefly Explained

Want to start a career as a copywriter? Trust me, there is nothing fulfilling watching your copies making a great influence on your readers. And, certainly, there are many perks of helping your clients meet their marketing needs. That is the reason why so many individuals seek to become a copywriter. But many still are sceptical about the question: What is copywriting? 

Many believe that the job simply requires spinning some words to make things look interesting. Sorry to break that myth, but copywriting is much more than that. And it’s not as simple as it looks. 

Not only you must sound persuasive through your copies, but you must find a way to resonate with the expectations of the target customers. That too using just a few words of sentences seem like a complex part. Isn’t it? Thankfully, I have got some insight into what it takes to become a successful copywriter.

So, let’s dive in!!!

What is Copywriting?

Image of successful female writer or journalist, makes notes in diary, holds pencil near mouth, wears round glasses, has dark hair, isolated over pink studio wall. Youth, education, creativity concept

Let’s answer the first question first. So, what is copywriting? 

Well, copies are everything that you read online or offline that evoke your emotions to act. It is persuasive marketing in the form of promotional materials that encourage the audience to either make a purchase, offer a donation, click on a link, subscribe to the newsletter, etc.

If you find buttons or links that say, ‘Read More’, ‘Buy Now’, ‘Subscribe’, you are reading a copy. 

But do you always choose to click that button? That is where the difference lies. Good copywriting isn’t just a page full of information, or a guideline to move forward and choose to subscribe or buy. 

A well written copywriting connects with its audience. It understands the pain and plans to provide the solution for the same. At the same time, choosing the right set of words to convey the reason for the existence of their services or the products.

For instance, if you read these two ads, which one would you try::

“We are the best coffee maker” – Try Us

“We brew coffee that compliments your taste buds” – Pick What’s Best: for you

Do not forget to leave your answer down in the comment. Or you can also leave your vote or comment on my Twitter post.

Coming down to writing copies, it is more about giving customers what they are looking for. Brand building will fall in place subsequently.

Dos and Don’ts of Copywriting

I feel that breaking every practice into Dos and Don’ts clarify most of the confusion. Therefore, how about we create our list that talks about what’s best for copywriting and what’s not?

Let’s begin!

Dos of Copywriting

  • Learn About Your Audience – Research what your target clients want or seek from your line of business
  • Address Your Customers Pain Points – In copies, you must talk about your brand. But learn to limit the content’s length to 20 per cent for explaining your brand’s value. And answer how you plan to solve your customers’ problems in the remaining 80 per cent. 
  • What You Get Instead of What We Have – In simple words, talk about benefits the customers will get from your products or services instead of listing features.
  • Direct ‘Call to Action’ – Make it clear if you want your audience to buy your product or subscribe to an email list or just follow you on social media platforms. You must be the one, guiding them rather, your customers trying to figure out ‘what’s next.

Don’ts of Copywriting

  • Try to Impress Everyone – Understand, if you are selling women’s clothing, you must focus on impressing the ladies. If you start writing for everyone, you may end up gaining nothing.
  • Copy Others – Keep copying others’ tone of writing thinking what’s working for them will work for me.
  • Sell Everything at Once – You may have a lot to offer to your customers. But too much information may confuse your readers. So, stay concise and keep it simple.
  • Stuff Keywords – I understand impressing algorithms and bots is essential. But it should not be your priority. Writing for your audience is equally important.

What Matters?

Do you know what matters at the end of the day? Your customers’ trust in your brand. And copywriting helps businesses reach out to their audience and explain how they are unique and valuable for their users.

If you can turn your copies into something that converts, you have got what it takes to be a copywriter. So, go on, test your capabilities, and lead the way for many brands to prosper in the future. Or, as we speak. 

Happy copywriting!!!!